Results-oriented engineer with a B.Sc. in civil engineering from Alexandria University and a Ph.D. in coastal & environmental engineering obtained at the University of California at Berkeley, U.S.A., 1981, and an excellent twenty-five-year track record of directly related experience in engineering design & management, technology development, joint industry project formulation, marketing, university teaching and strategic planning and team-building.
Worked for many years with several international and regional organizations including Bechtel Corporation (San Francisco, California, USA), the University of California at Berkeley (Berkeley, California, USA), Wellstream Corporation (Florida, USA), Jordan University of Science and Technology (Irbid, Jordan), and now Professor of Coastal Engineering & Water Resources Management at Department of Construction Engineering,the Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport (Alexandria, Egypt).
1. 1994 to Present
Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Professor of Coastal and Water Resources Engineering, Department Chairman and Founder (1994-1998), Department of Construction Engineering.
- Strategic Planning Specialist (1998-present), Office of the Academy President (part-time)
2. 1990 - 1993
Wellstream International Ltd., Corte-Madera, California/Panama City, Florida, USA
Manager of Technology (1990-1991).
Director of Engineering and Technology (1991-1993)
3. 1989 to 1990
Jordan University of Science & Technology, Irbid, Jordan.
Associate Professor of Water Resources & Environmental Engineering.
4. 1987 - 1989
Enppi, Cairo, Egypt.
Senior Coastal Engineering Specialist.
5. 1980 - 1987
Bechtel Corporation, San Francisco, California, USA
Senior / Project Engineer.
AWARDS, SCHOLARSHIPS & ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
Invited speaker to the expert group meeting of United Nations (UNIDO) in Italy, Trieste (May 2005) and UNESCO, Cairo in 2011 on Water Resources Management and Soil Remediation
International Coordinator of the First International Conference on CZM of River Deltas and Lowland Coastlines, March 6-10, 2010, Alexandria, Egypt (www.nwrc-egypt.info/). The international conference was sponsored by ASCE, USGS, NOAA, ASBPA in the USA, and the Coastal Research Institute CoRI, and the Maritime Academy AASTMT in Alexandria, Egypt (http://soundwaves.usgs.gov/2010/05/meetings.html).
COPRI-Marketing Committee Nabil played a major role in of the ASCE 2011- Coastal Engineering Practice Conference in San Diego (http://content.asce.org/conferences/copricoastal2011/index.html).
EU FP7 Project Dr. Ismail has been a team member of the advisory committee of the THESEUS – EU- FP7 project, 2009-2013, on the technology advancement of coastal protection in Europe (www.theseusproject.eu)
Invited member of the ICE International Technical Committee on Coastal Management Changing Coast, Changing Climate, the Netherlands September 7-9, 2015.
• “1994 Offshore Service Award”, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, presented at the Energy – Sources Technology Conference Exhibition, June 25, 1994, New Orleans, LA, USA
• “Bechtel Group Technical Excellence Awards” in 1985 and 1988, San Francisco,
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES MEMBERSHIP
American, Society of Civil Engineers, American Shore & Beach Preservation Association.
. Key Technical Expertise Nabil Ismail with his PhD course e work & research and subsequent industrial experience as well as continued research on actual problems has a proven ability to teach and lead research programs on coastal zone management and water resources sustainability.
SAMPLE OF PUBLICATIONS, TECHNICAL REPORTS & PRESENTATIONS
◊ Coastal Zone Management and Engineering
1. Ismail, N. and Williams, J., "Climate Change Implications for Coastal Protection from Southern Mediterranean to USA Coastlines", Proceedings of International Conference on Coastal Sediments, San Diego, California, USA, May 11-15, 2015.
2. Ismail, N. and Wiegel, N, "Sustainable Solutions For Coastal Zone Management of Lowland and River Delta Coastlines", Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 17, EGU2015-1118-1, EGU European Geophysical Union, General Assembly, Travel Grant Award, Vienna, Austria, 12-17 April, 2015.
3. Ismail, N, El Sayed W. and Iskander, M., "Sustainable Development Challenges at Southern Mediterranean Lowland", International Conference on Deltas In Times Of Climate Change II , Rotterdam, the Netherlands, September 24-26, 2014.
4. Ismail, N. and Elsayed, M.K., "Wavelet Analysis for Cross-Shore Profile Evolution Models for Sustainable Coastal Design", Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 16, EGU2014-16975-2, EGU General Assembly 2014.
5. Zanuttigh, Barbara, and Ismail, Nabil, "Opportunities from Theseus EU- Innovative Project For Enhancement of Coastal Resilience of Nile Delta Shorelines", Proceedings of International Conference on Climate Changes Impacts, Mitigation & Adaptation, Alexandria, Egypt, April 2013, Canadian Journal of Climate Change Editor In Press.
◊ Water Resources Engineering and Wetland Management
1. Ismail, N.M. , ICSU-UNESCO Report on Water Resources Sustainability, "System Analysis of Water Resources Management and Pollution Control in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions", Jan. 25, 2012, ICSU-UNESCO Rio+20 Regional Science and Technology Workshop for the Arab States, Cairo, Egypt, 12-14 October 2011.
2. Ismail, N.M., "Urgent Problems, Needs and Initiatives in Water Resources Management in Middle East and Gulf Countries", Invited Lecture, Expert Group Meeting on Technologies for Soil and Water Remediation, ICS, United Nations- IDO, Trieste, Italy, May 11-13, 2005.
3. Ismail, N.M., "Restoration of Coastal Wetlands and Management of Wastewater Disposal", 9th Int. Conference on Modeling and Management of Environmental Problems, Bergen, Norway, WIT Press, Southampton, Boston, May 2002.