Name: Mohamed Waleed Talaat Fakhr
College of Computing, Arab Academy for Science and Technology
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
• Academic experience –
• September 2013-current: Professor, College of Computing, AAST, Cairo.
• September 2011-September 2013: Professor, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department, University of Bahrain.
• September 2007-September 2011: Dean, College of Computing, Arab Academy for Science and Technology (AAST), Cairo Branch.
• September 2006-August 2007: Professor, Electrical and Electronics Engineering Dept., University of Bahrain.
• August 2005-Present: Adjunct Professor, Virginia Technology (VT-MENA) program.
• July 2004: Professor, Computer Engineering Department, AAST, Cairo.
• September 2003 – September 2006: Chair, Computer Engineering & Computer Science Department, AAST, Cairo.
• September 2002 – September 2003: Assistant dean for Education and Research, Faculty of Engineering, AAST, Cairo.
• 1999-2003: Associate Professor, Arab academy for science and technology (AAST), Electronics and Communications department, Alexandria and Cairo.
• 1988-1993: Teaching and research assistant, VLSI Group, Electrical and computer engineering department, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada.
• Non-academic experience –
• 1994-1999: Researcher (full time), NORTEL Technologies Speech Research Lab, Montreal, Canada.
• 1993-1994: Research Associate, VLSI Group, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada.
Pattern Recognition, Signal Processing, Biometrics, Arabic language processing, Multimedia Security
1988 1993: Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering department, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada, May 1994.
Thesis title:”Optimal Adaptive probabilistic neural networks for pattern classification”.
1983 1988: Master of Science, Electrical Engineering Department, Alexandria University, Egypt.
Thesis title: “Diagnosis of Liver disease by signal processing of medical ultrasound signals”.
1978-1983: Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering department, Communications section, Alexandria University, Egypt. Graduated with Distinction with Honors: 2nd in a class of 80
Membership in Professional Societies:
Member of IEEE since 1988
Honors, Award and Grants:
1- ITIDA Research Grant with ALTEC, 2010.
2- Research grant of 10,000 BHD, University of Bahrain research deanship, 2012.
Professional Development Activities (within the past 5 years only):
Attended many skills development workshops at UoB, for example:
1- Modes of delivery
2- Peer reviewing
3- Research and project design
4- Interactions with students
Institutional and Professional Service Activities (within the past 5 years only)
Co-Founder and elected member in the board of trustees of Arabic Language Technology: 2009-present. Enhancement Centre (ALTEC): www.ALTEC-CENTER.org, a Non Profitable Non Governmental Organization. As a Co-Founder and member of BoT of this consulting organization, aiming to draw roadmap to the Arabic language technology applications and resources with focus on education, machine translation, Arabic character recognition, Arabic internet search engines and Arabic voice-enabled services.
Adjunct Professor, Virginia Tech, MENA program (2005-2009).