Guidance in applying for examination leading for the issue for Certificate of competency for masters and deck officers
An application is to be submitted to the Egyptian authority for maritime safety after the payment of the appropriate required fees . The application shall be submitted at least one month before the commencement of the upgrading training course, for those who have to complete an upgrading training course as required , The following documents should be enclosed:
- Three recent photographs.
- Copy of the ID or seaman passport, the original Documents shall be presented to attest the nationality and date of birth.
- Copy of the last Issued Certificate of competency and the original certificate shall be presented to attest its authenticity
- Copy of the seaman passport with seagoing service periods and voyage limits recorded in the seagoing service columns, original seaman book shall be presented to attest its authenticity and the verification of the recorded services.
- The required qualifications .
- Sea service certificate including the period of sea going service and shall be supported by the passport, immigration and nationality administration stamps on the seaman passport and seaman contract of employment for those who have completed their seagoing service onboard Egyptian flagged ships For those who have completed their seagoing service onboard foreign flagged ships, the sea service certificate must be signed by the master and stamped by the ship’s stamp and supported by the passport, immigration and nationality administration stamps on the seaman passport. It shall also be endorsed by the consular officer or any relevant official authority of the ship’s flag state . it is the duty of the main examination committee to attest the authenticity of sea service certificates
- A certificate of completion of sea training issued form the recognized maritime institution or relevant certificate.
- A document to confirm the commitment in completing the upgrading training courses issued from the recognized maritime institution for those have to complete an upgrading training course as required ,
Requirements for certification of Master on ships of 3000 gross tonnage or more on ocean going voyages.Every Candidate for certification shall:
- have an approved seagoing service of not less than 18 months on ships of 3000 gross tonnage or more on ocean going voyages after the date of holding the chief officer certificate of competency
- Meet the medical fitness requirements for the certificate
- Have completed the required mandatory training courses in the recognized maritime institution .
- In case of completing the seagoing service on ships of less than 3000 gross tonnage, a tonnage limited certificate of competency will be issued after meeting the other requirements for certification. The tonnage limitation will only be removed after fulfilling seagoing service requirements of ships of 3000 gross tonnage or more and passing an oral exam.
Approved seagoing services have to fulfill the following requirements:
- Have to be conducted onboard ships of not less than 500 gross tonnage and on ocean going voyages
- All seagoing service submitted on any of the examination application forms must be supported by the capacity of the candidate onboard the ship in accordance with the crew agreement and the seaman book.
- Having completed the approved seagoing service submitted on any of the examination application forms in a period of at least one year in the preceding 5 years, the outstanding seagoing service for the required certification shall not exceed 10 years from the date of setting for the required examination or the date of commencement of the required upgrading training course, in case the training course is required in accordance with this annex, seagoing service before the age of 16 is not counted.
- Have to be conducted in a regular watches of at least 8 hours in every 24 hours
- For masters and deck officers have to be conducted in one of the following capacity:Ordinary Seaman – Able Seaman – Able seafarer deck – Bosun – Deck cadet – Deck officer – Master.
Short mandatory training courses
- Ship handling and Maneuvering
- Medical care studies
- Advanced course in Personal Survival Techniques & Search and Rescue
- Radar, automatic radar plotting aids (ARPA) and search and rescue course
- Advanced communications
- Advanced ECDIS simulation training (management level)
- Advanced fire prevention and fire fighting
- ECDIS simulation training (operational level)
- Proficiency in Security awareness training for seafarers with designated security duties
- Personal safety and social responsibility
- Prevention and combating of marine pollution
- Marine radar simulation training .
- Proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats