Communication and Computing System
This GMDSS qualification is designed for mariners who sail exclusively in areas covered by VHF coast stations (Sailing Area A1) only. This course is subject to a continuous adjustment and update to the requirement of the IMO and the latest development in radio communication. Upon completion of the course the trainee will have knowledge of the GMDSS system and be able to take charge of communications with the relevant rescue authority in emergency situations.
- GMDSS overview.
- Basic features of the maritime mobile service.
- Regulations and publications pertaining to the GMDSS.
- Principles of electricity and radio theory.
- VHF line-of-sight communication.
- Basic communication procedures on VHF.
Practical operational procedures on the following terminals:
- VHF RT terminal.
- NAVTEX terminal.
- Survival craft portable VHF.
The trainee should be 3rd, 2nd, 1st mate officer or master, OR Person who has a license in the old communication system, OR SAR Personal