Communication and Computing System
Vessel Traffic Services (VTS) Communication Course
The VTS course prepares the participants to gain the communication skills required for their duties in managing and improving vessels traffic area. This is in order to avoid incidents or distress situations between ships in high traffic time. The VTS course objectives are to familiarize the VTS staff with commonly used communications methods and systems control/interface for ease of use. Also, in order to implement the proper SMCPs those suit the VTS duties, which necessitate good knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet list that make the communication effective. Also, it prepares the trainees on the different communication skills of communications with their colleagues at the VTS station and on sharing the available data.
- Familiarization on the GMDSS system’s components.
- Familiarization on the VHF terminal.
- Familiarization on the DSC-VHF terminal.
- Familiarization on the phonetic alphabetical and figure code.
- Familiarization on the Distress/Urgency/Safety formats.
- Familiarization on the SMCPs phrases regarding the VTS standard phrases.
- Familiarization on communication skills.
- Practical exercises on items 2 through 7.
- Practical exercise on VTS reporting system.
- Practical exercises on the VHF and the DSC-VHF terminals for ease of use.
- Practical exercises by using those terminals for familiarization of different formats of marine communications using international codes and SMCPs.
The trainee should hold ROC at least and has good command in English language.