Chemical Analysis Laboratory
The Chemical Analysis laboratory undertakes physical and chemical analysis and tests for most of the environmental samples. The laboratory is also used as a tool for research in several fields, in addition to its role in assisting consultations training technical services.
In 1996, the laboratory initiated its work in co-operation with the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA) by applying the “Fingerprinting Technique”. This was done by using the four different standard methods of the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM). These standard methods compares the spilled oil samples with other oil samples from suspected sources.
To adapt with the developmental policy used by the Crisis and Disaster Management Systems to maintain the state of the art technologies, the laboratory was also upgraded and updated to achieve the main objectives in different fields such as:
- Increasing the accuracy of the results (samples data output) to adapt with latest technology presented in the analysis field. This is done by using the latest instruments and software.
- Widening the scale and fields of work to analyse all kinds of samples, and to apply different standard methods of analysis to cover the industrial and environmental services.
- Offering training programs for researchers, industrial and environmental trainees in various fields.
- Preparing the laboratory for international certification.
- Offering technical consultations to solve industrial and environmental problems.
The laboratory is equipped with the latest instruments required for research and analysis. All the standard tests in the fields of industry, research and environmental studies may also be performed for scientific institutes and organizations working in the field of environment.
- Gas Chromatograph (Mass Spectrometer) (GC/MS) (PE-Clarus 500)
Gas Chromatograph (PE-Autosystem):
- Flame Ionization Detector (GC/FID)
- Electron Capture Detector (GC/ECD)
High Performance Liquid Chromatograph:
- Ultraviolet / visible Detector
- Fluorescence Detector
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometer (ICP-OES) (PE-Optima 2100)
- Infrared Spectrometer (Spectrum One) with Oil Express and other accessories for different types of samples
- Fluorescence Spectrometer
- UV/VIS Spectrometer (AQUA-MATE) for water analysis
C.Physical Properties Instrumets
- Closed Cup Koehler Flash Point Tester
- Pour and Cloud Point Chamber with thermometers and tubes
- API Certified Hydrometer with built in thermometer for petroleum densities