While many will aspire to reach the ranks of captain, chief engineer, chief electro-technical officer or hotel operations manager on board ship, others may decide later on to move ashore and pursue one of the many opportunities available to experienced mariners in the international maritime industry or elsewhere.
Examples of some typical shore based career opportunities include:
- Fleet operations
- Surveying ships to check seaworthiness
- Ports and harbour management and pilotage
- Lecturer in college or training facilities, training the seafarers of the future
- Maritime regulatory authorities
- Ship repair and marine equipment production
- Marine insurance
- Ship broking and finance
- Ship classification
- Offshore exploration.