Signing a Memorandum of Understanding between AASTMT and the Liberian Maritime Administration 27 - 03 - 2012
AASTMT has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Liberian Maritime Administration on Wednesday 21- 3- 2012, during the visit of the high-level Liberians delegation to AASTMT and the Maritime Transport leaders of the Arab Republic of Egypt. The agreement was signed by H.E Prof. Dr. Ismail Abdel Ghafar Ismail - AASTMT President, and H.E Mr. Pena Kessely – the Commissioner of the Liberian Maritime Administration, in the presence of H.E Mr. Maher ElAdawy – the Egyptian Ambassador in Liberia.
The memorandum of understanding has based on several key themes of cooperation which includes the following:
- The Liberian Maritime Administration will provide training opportunities to AASTMT graduates on the ships that registered in the Liberian registration program and the ships that hold the Liberian flag.
- AASTMT training for the Liberian Maritime Administration members, whether in Egypt or Liberia.
- AASTMT contribution in the re-operation and development of the Liberian Maritime Institute.
- Accepting the Liberian students in AASTMT Maritime studies.
- Technical cooperation and support in various maritime areas.
It is worth mentioning that the Liberian registration program includes more than 3,700 vessels which hold the Liberian flag representing 11% of the total world fleet and have a tonnage amount reached to more than 121 million tons, as well as it is ranked to be the second in terms of the number of vessels after Panama, in addition to maintaining the international standards levels considering the Liberian registration program that make it in the white list for the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the Port State Control at the international level.