1. Design and implementation of ODU/RF mechanical and control system
- Satellite Transceiver Dish
The Satellite Transceiver Dish is designed to receive the RF signals from satellites that are encoded using DVB-S2 protocol and contains the satellite TV channel data and the Internet packets. It is also designed to transmit the RF modulated signals which are the DVB-S2 encoded data and it includes the transmit Internet packets. The mechanical part of the satellite transceiver dish is designed using SolidWorks software. Figure 1 shows the 3D design of the mechanical system of the transceiver dish using SolidWorks software. Figure 2 demonstrates the satellite transceiver dish.
- Outdoor RF Unit
Outdoor unit is designed to handle the network part of the project the purpose of this unit is to connect the modem to the satellite network for broadcasting. The unit consists of multiple sensors used to orient the antenna to certain position (satellite orbit). Figure 3 shows the architecture of the Outdoor RF unit.
2. Comprehensive simulation on DVB-S2 transceiver signal processing
- The DVB-S2 encoder and decoder modules inside the transceiver are simulated using simulation software. This simulation program can be applied directly on FPGA using HDL coder. The Digital Video Broadcasting-Satellite Second Generation (DVBS2) is a standard protocol, and it referenced by European Telecommunication Standardization Institute (ETSI). In order to evaluate the performance of the modulation techniques under noisy channel, the Bit Error Rate (BER) has been calculated between the transmitted and received data bits for different modulation techniques and FEC rates at several noise levels, from SNR = -20 dB to 20 dB. Figure 4 shows the relation between the BER in case of using QPSK modulation at different FEC rates ranges. It shows that decreasing the FEC rate leads to decreasing the number of error detected and corrected bits. Similarly, comprehensive simulation was done to evaluate the performance of the 8PSK modulation technique under noisy channel at different FEC rates. Figure 5 illustrates the relation between BER shows the relation between the BER in case of using 8PSK modulation at different FEC rates ranges.
3. Propose Hardware configuration of transceiver unit based on Intel® AtomTM processor
- In order to match different applications, 6 different versions of the proposed hardware are suggested with different capabilities and services. Table 1 demonstrates the 6 suggested versions of the satellite modem hardware.
Share This Page